Cataract: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and ICD-10 Code For Cataract
Once you read the title of this article, you must be familiar with it. Not familiar in having that problem but familiar in hearing that. You might be thinking that it is a sight problem that happens to older people. You are right. Cataracts are clouding of the lens in the eye which leads to a decrease in vision. You may have cataract if you are over 60 years old and your vision has gotten blurry or cloudy.
Causes of Cataract
As you read above, the most common cause of cataract is age-related (as you get older). The others causes are:
- Congenital: Different from the common cause, this is what doctors usually cal when babies are born with cataracts or they can form in childhood. It can be caused by injury, infection, or poor development in the womb.
- Secondary: Cataracts are also caused by some medical condition/other diseases such as diabetes,
- Traumatic: This cause is formed after an injury to the eye.
- Bad habits: Some bad habits also caused cataracts such as cigarette smoke and heavy drinking.
- Air pollution
Signs and Symptoms of Cataract
Cataract does not come quickly. It usually forms slowly so you might not realize until this disease start to block your sight. You have to avoid it by knowing the notice as follow:
- Changes in the way you see the color
- Problems driving at night (glare from oncoming headlights)
- Problems with glare during the day
- Cloudy, blurry, foggy or filmy vision
- Nearsightedness (happens in older people)
- Double vision in the affected eye
- Trouble with eyeglasses or contact lenses not working well
The Diagnosis of Cataract
Go to see an eye doctor as soon as you get the symptoms. Your eye doctor would give you an exam intended to test how well you can see. He will also check other parts of your eyes.
ICD-10 Code for Cataract
As we know that every disease got a code in International Classification of Diseases simply called ICD. ICD is a system to classify any diseases and it is used internationally. ICD has some versions and expansion. The tenth version (ICD-10) is what people are using now. The diagnosis ICD-10 code for cataract is H26.9. To find this code, we have to go to the section H00-H59 first titled diseases of the eye and adnexa. After that, find code H25-H28 titled disorders of lens. Finally you will find ICD-10 code for cataract.